.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Confessions of a Former FemiNazi

Thanks, Andy, for inviting me to post at your pulpit. So odd, for a Catholic woman to be invited to the pulpit! I'm a pro-life Catholic [and yes you have to use both these days, sadly] who is happily married to the man who fathered her three children.

I used to be a femi-nazi.

Oh, I wouldn't admit that then, but it's true. In an effort to be "liked" and "moderate" and "accommodating" I called myself a pro-choice Catholic. The choice for abortion is one I knew I would never make myself, but I felt unwilling to "impose my morals" on anyone else.

Then I joined the Army. Then I met David. Then we got married. Then we moved to Fayetteville. Then Operation Desert Storm happened. Then we got out of the Army. Then I began listening to Rush Limbaugh. He converted me back to what I knew to be true. He on the radio, and my husband in our home, showed me the truth that life begins at conception and that it is a right, given by God, to live.

18 months ago, we welcomed twin girls into the world at only 26 weeks gestation. They had many medical challenges, which continue today to some degree, but in all respects, they are beautiful happy little girls. They were both about 2 pounds each at birth and were considered "micro-preemies" [i.e. less than 1000 grams in weight]. They were the size and age at which many babies are aborted. If I was only theoretically pro-life before, I am practically pro-life today. I saw them for the first time all hooked up to monitors and breathing machines and tubes. I only got to hold Annie for the first time when she was 6 weeks old. But they were born with spirit and will to live and not much else. They proved to me that life, in all its stages, is a gift to be cherished.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy W. Rogers said...

Thanks, Ruth Anne, for joining the board... You wrote an excellent intro., and I'm honored to call you my friend. Please feel at home on the board... This is a place where everybody is encouraged to speak their conscience. :-)

Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home