.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

RE: RE: RE: Home Schooling Alert

Behethland B. Clark responds to Steve Brenneis:

I know several home schooled kids who are extremely advanced and have gone on to do very well at the college level. But their parents are very smart. That's the key.

My mom has always said that she doesn't have a problem with home schooling at all as long as the parents are well-adjusted and intelligent.

There are lots of situations where that isn't the case. And if a parent doesn't do his or her research as to the proper curriculum, the child will be behind.

But I will venture to say that I would have excelled as a home schooled student because both my mother and my grandmother were educators who knew how to "instruct". My grandmother taught both me and my brother how to read, write and do basic math before we even entered kindergarten. (And I'm not bragging on myself here, I'm bragging on my grandma!)

It just bothers me that teachers are so under-valued as to think that the average person could do just as good a job. Would you try practicing medicine at home, too?

I guess I'm just sensitive to this because I've seen how hard my mom works and how dedicated she is to her profession, yet her salary is pitiful and she receives so little respect from other "professionals".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home