.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: WINNING EMAIL OF THE DAY ON THE LEFT'S FRENZY OVER POPE BENEDICT

Behethland B. Clark responds to Steve Brenneis:

I'm not disagreeing with you on this one. I plan to be a stay-at-home mom until my children are old enough to start school. I believe it is very important to spend as much time as possible with my children, just like my mom did. But what I AM saying is that it isn't a choice for every woman.

A college fund is most certainly a necessity unless you are counting on your children receiving full scholarships. (And by college fund, I mean something as simple as a savings account set aside for education). I know several women in my office who share a car with their husband because they can't afford two and several who scrimp and save to buy groceries for their families, so I am being serious. I'm not talking about driving a Mercedes and living in a 3000 square foot house, here. I'm talking about providing your children with necessities and seeing that they are educated.

Both of my parents worked. They paid their house off within 8 years of building it. They put two children through college without having to take our student loans. We took a family vacation to Myrtle Beach every summer where we stayed in an old beach house with the rest of our extended family. We went to Disney World once and Yellowstone National Park for two weeks when we were in high school. We both drove junker cars in high school and college. We wore hand-me-downs and clothes that my grandma made. We had the same tv for 20 years. We never had cable. Our stereo was one my mom had in college (but it rocked!)

We did without a lot of things, but we were comfortable. My dad was able to retire at 55 and my mom has been able to work part time for the past 10 years, just because she wanted to. Saving and providing security for their family was the number one priority. I seriously doubt they could have lived debt and mortgage free all these years without two incomes. I am very grateful to them for the sacrifices they made.

And I can't think of a more reliable car than a used Toyota!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home