.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Monday, September 26, 2005

From a Windows Neophyte

This is coming from someone who is simply a user, not a computer expert, so be gentle... Being a person who became moderately technologically savvy only after college (I'm nearly 32, so that's not all that uncommon) I was never sufficiently exposed to Windows OS. And now, I'm glad. I've only really used Mac OS, basically because at the time all the applications I needed to learn were Mac-only anyway. The few times I turned on a PC I thought, 'This really sucks and makes no sense.' Mac is so intuitive that you can just guess about the best way to do something, and boom, it works.

And now, in the post Mac OS X world, you've really got to be doing something crazy to get a Mac to lock up or crash. The two times I had to force quit an application, I was running Pro Tools, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign at the same time. Dumb, I know. But that's how I was working.

I do think that Microsoft has seen its best days for Windows OS. I know several folks that had never used a Mac that are now some of Apple's biggest fans. Most of them said to me, 'You know, it's a no brainer. It's like it reads my mind! And yeah: a trash can... Not a stupid recycle bin! You're trashing, not recycling anyway!'

With sales for the iPod skyrocketing, I predict that sales for Macs to be really big this Christmas. The fact is, Macs are cool; PCs are what kids have at school and what their parents use. Microsoft better be thinking of a major makeover and a great marketing campaign for its OS or they're going to lose all momentum in the 'creative' market completely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home