.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Monday, November 21, 2005

RE: Sunset for Hatteras Village?

Once again, I hear a lot of whining and read a lot of bombastic language, but the whiners sure do seem to be short on solutions and suggestions.

As David Hoyle (a Democrat, by the way) says:

"Now they are using the environment as the issue to try and stop us, but everybody knows exactly what the issue really is. Ten years ago these same people said 'hell no' to zoning. They didn't want anybody telling them what to do with their property. They want to blame me for raping the place, for doing something bad, when the whole blame rests with them. I'm a private citizen, trying to make a living. I didn't take a vow of poverty when I signed on at the legislature. I put my occupation right down there. I'm proud of what I do."

The issue isn't greed or the environment or spoiling a unique community. The current residents are imports themselves, every one. The issue is who gets to do what and who gets to say who does what. Other than that, the whole article and the whole issue consists of a lot of people (except Dixon and Hoyle) standing around wishing. And if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

By the way, this doesn't sound much like greed to me:

"I've developed properties in Texas, in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina, all over. I've done this for 30 years and I've never had anything like this happen. And the funny thing is, we could have helped the Hatteras Civic Association. When we were building in Atlantic Beach, the town needed a fire truck, so we bought them one. We bought the fieldhouse for a high school in Myrtle Beach. But that's not going to happen here. The money that could have done something like that is going straight to our lawyers."

That sounds like a community-minded developer. This article pretty much convinces me that there is a healthy dose of elitism involved and any sympathy I might have had for the people of Hatteras Village has declined to just about nil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home