.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The All About Strother Show

Yeah, I knew that you'd ignore the fact that both the Vatican and an arguably conservative Pope Benedict approved the show...

Here, let me help you with your wording: "...both the Vatican and an arguably conservative Pope Benedict approved of the show..." Important difference, especially to Catholics. And I didn't ignore it, it wasn't germane so I answered it obliquely with the comment on my informal poll of Catholics (which you conveniently ignored).

But it's still 'Hollyweird' distortion and filth, right?

If you say so. I didn't call it filth. I didn't even directly call it distortion, the term I used was "twisted vision." Maybe it was a good movie, maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was faithful, maybe it wasn't, none of this is the point (which you are still dodging, but more on that later).

...the science of pop culture...

That's a hoot. My oxymoron detector just went into overload.

But back on subject, it's pretty clear that far more Americans do little more during their evenings at home besides watch TV.

This is semantic nonsense. More Americans than what? Nielsen's own numbers indicate continuously falling viewership for the broadcast networks. DVD rentals are up. Video game sales are up. Internet use is up. Network television viewing habits aren't even remotely an indicator of the cultural outlook of the country any more.

Well, not to make this all about me (you did already), but I hardly watch TV compared to most, and knowing about pop culture is part of my job.

No, actually you are making this all about you. All I said was that you and Behethland were wrong in your assumptions that the TV show flop meant anything significant. I just said that you assume everyone gets their cultural marching orders from the tube.

Besides, if you've got a problem with the 'cultural wasteland' of television, you can thank your fellow Americans.

I never implied otherwise. I just don't know who is worse, the niche that consumes this garbage or the scavengers who pander to them. And before you do the inevitable liberal thing and assume that means I want someone to do something about it, let me disabuse you of that notion. There is very litte I could or would do about people making the choice to rot in front of the TV every night. Maybe if a few of them read the BP every now and again, they will discover there is a life outside the electron glow.

And you haven't addressed my challenge to provide evidence of your claim that the bad showing by the TV movie means anything significant about American morality. The reasonable assumption is that you can't and, therefore, the original posts by you and Behethland were mere hyperbole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home