.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

RE: Did Al Gore commit treason???

I read a transcript of Gore's remarks elsewhere, so I can safely comment on them I guess. I'm not sure I follow Kristen's logic since neither Cal Thomas nor Townhall.com were responsible for what Gore said.

Gore's invective was no more or less treasonous than that of Jimmy Carter, Michael Moore, or any of a half dozen brainless celebrities. It was most certainly aimed at a very narrow audience and I share Cal Thomas' bewilderment at what the possible point of making them might be. But I think treason could only be charged in pursuit of some partisan or jingoistic end. However, characterizing them as moronically simple-minded, wildly inappropriate, and incredibly arrogant probably goes without saying: that's Algore in a nutshell.

What I found interesting in the Thomas article was the implication of treason and its relationship to giving aid and comfort to our enemies in such close written proximity to the mention that the remarks were made in Saudi Arabia. Cal Thomas is one of the more dependable apologists for the Bush Dynasty Administration. I can't help but think they would take a dim view of him referring, however obliquely, to their brethren in the Saudi peerage as "the enemy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home