.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Strother Strikes Again

One of two things is true, Strother. Either you purposely misconstrue what I post to be annoying, or you purposely misconstrue what I post because you can't rebut it so you choose to respond to what you wish I had posted.

A third alternative is that you are functionally illiterate, but I don't think that's the case.

You regularly complain that Hollyweird does nothing but advance the Liberal agenda, but you won’t give the big screen adaptation of "Atlas Shrugged" - a book written by Rand, your objectivist heroine - a real chance?

Gee, I don't know, Strother. Maybe it's because any rational person might assume that Hollywood's agenda includes an attempt to muddy the Randian waters, knowing full well that most of the movie-viewing public can't or won't read the novel and will assume that the film is an accurate rendition.

Not only that but I said...


Short of making a movie that is 15 hours long and would put everyone in the theater to sleep, I can't imagine any scenario in which Hollywood could successfully transfer the novel to film.


You did read that, didn't you? The novel is long-winded and pedantic. It is composed of ideas that will not easily render on film. If they even attempt it, they will probably leave most of the viewing audience completely bewildered.

Insinuating that Jolie would do a bad job because she may not be like her character - or the author who created the character - is pretty silly.

Here's a good example of how you have misconstrued what I posted. I didn't say anything at all about anyone doing a bad job. I didn't even insinuate it. What I said was that I find her claims of being a Rand "enthusiast" doubtful. I gave specific reasons why. If you disagree, then rebut them, don't make up arguments out of thin air. Or else go ahead and do it, but put your name after them and we'll all sit back and watch you argue with yourself.

I fail to see a real point other than you don't like Jolie or Pitt.

Don't you, Strother? First, I don't like or dislike either of them. That would require an emotional investment from me and I honestly don't care whether either of them lives or dies. I think they are both lousy actors, especially Pitt. Jolie gets along on her willingness to get naked in movies or to at least offer the promise of getting naked. That's all well and good, but I don't see a need to drop five bucks in a theater for that, especially when I could go look it up on the net if I was really interested. When you take that away, her acting ability is abominable.

Once again, my response was to call BS on the author's assertion that Jolie and Pitt were "fans." I don't think either of them has the itellectual capacity to even understand Ayn Rand. I find it hard to believe that any two people as completely devoted to narcissism as those two are would spend any effort to even pick up an Ayn Rand novel, much less find what they read to be exciting enough to declare themselves fans. Rand is one of my favorite authors on the topics of libertarianism and capitalism, but I would hardly call myself a fan.

I gave some predictions as to what I thought Hollywood would do with the story. I could be completely wrong. If so, have no fear, I'll post it here on the BP so you can misconstrue it some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home