.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Strother is Out-Foxxed

Notwithstanding illegal immigration, assimilation is happening.

Very good, Strother. Why bother with facts when naked assertion works so well? It works for King Jorge (mass deportation won't work, it just won't, because I said so, that's why), why not for you?

I have yet to meet an immigrant here in the US that can't communicate with me on a basic level, and I, regretfully, speak only English.

Well, let's see, I work for one of the largest telephone companies in the United States. We spend millions of dollars every year on Spanish language recordings and customer service representatives. We have special categories in project evaluation for whether or not it affects our Spanish language services. On a daily basis, our call centers encounter dozens if not hundreds of people who speak no English, calling in and expecting to get a Spanish-speaking representative. But leaving that aside, all I have to do is go out to lunch in Greensboro and on a weekly basis I'm going to run across at least one immigrant who doesn't speak a word of English or who speaks it so poorly that communication is impossible.

But let's go a step further. I do speak Spanish. Not as well as I once did, I used to be conversationally fluent, but I expect I could pick it up again if I needed it. I didn't just speak Castillan (European) Spanish either. I could handle a fair amount of Mexican idiom. The gutter-speak that Mexican immigrants use is virtually incomprehensible to me. Furthermore, I know a teacher who gives ESL (English as a Second Language) courses who can only get about half of the immigrants' conversation.

We are the only country on the planet that doesn't require immigrants to adopt our language, yet we are supposed to be the melting pot. Maybe it's because liberals like you ignore the problem by simply stating that immigrants are being assimilated (because you didn't run across one who wasn't in the last 24 hours) and then operate as if the assertion was axiomatic. Obviously, facts and truth are not a consideration.

It seems to me that, as usual, simpleminded Foxx is just pandering to her likeminded constituents instead of thinking about feasible solutions.

I find that to be quite funny. Back when Virginia was in the NC Senate and she was pandering to the education blob, all you libs thought she was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Back when she was pandering to the hippies and homos up in Boone, she was an "enlightened" Republican who was what every liberal hoped every Republican would become. Now that she is serving a right-leaning district and making right-leaning statements, she's simpleminded. You guys don't even realize what a bunch of clueless hypocrites you are, do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home