.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Toll Roads

Andy asks: What are your thoughts on toll roads???

I'm fine with them. I'm fully in favor of building new roads that are funded by toll revenue from the very beginning. I'd love a toll road that would allow you to avoid the perpetual mess on I-40 from W/S to the RDU airport. Just name the price — it's gotta be better than guessing what Greensboro, Durham, and Raleigh traffic will be like on any given day.

I don't know about making I-95 a toll road, though. I guess my problem with it is that taxpayers have been funding the upkeep of this existing road for many years, then suddenly, access to their investment in a means of transportation becomes restricted... not exactly fair, I think.

But, if 30 percent of the traffic on I-95 consists of commercial trucks, then why not let them help pay for the road's upkeep?

An idea: why not allow NC/VA residents to apply for a toll pass, where they won't have to pay the toll, leaving the toll to be paid for by non residents and commercial vehicles?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home