.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Not So Peaceful

Fox News

Nobel laureate Betty Williams, who won the Nobel Peace Prize 30 years ago for her campaign to end violence in her native Northern Ireland, told a group of Australian school children that she has a "very hard time with this word 'non-violence,' because I don't believe that I am non-violent."

For example, she said, "Right now, I would love to kill George Bush." Williams added, "I don't know how I ever got a Nobel Peace Prize, because when I see children die the anger in me is just beyond belief."

For the record, our sister publication "The Australian" led its story as follows: "Nobel peace laureate Betty Williams displayed a flash of her feisty Irish spirit."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home