.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Monday, September 18, 2006

RE: RE: Penn: Fascist President?

Over the weekend, my wife and I celebrated our ninth anniversary with an escape to a really neat bed-and-breakfast located next to the Blue Ridge Parkway (Thanks FDR!). Matter of fact, we were married there. It's an extremely cool place.

Anyway, the very last thing I wanted to think about was politics, but, moronically, I switched on the TV after checking in and caught the tail-end of this particular interview with Sean Penn on Larry King. My wife asked me "who's that guy?" and the only thing I could think of to reply with was "the dude in Fast Times At Ridgemont High."

Steve, I don't think anyone wrote that down for Sean. But I do think he was probably stoned when he came up with the idea for saying that.

...not being judgmental, but just saying.

Anyway, all this talk reminds me of a really cool essay that I looked up after I started on 'Foucault's Pendulum' — It's worth a read. When I'm feeling really smart, Eco always knocks me down a few notches. Read up, people.

Eternal Fascism: Fourteen Ways of Looking at a Blackshirt by Umberto Eco:
http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_blackshirt.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home