.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Being about Steve and Rush

Nature Boy offers:

People who are regular listeners to Rush know that he isn't a fan of the nanny state as you suggest.


Since he is advocating it in his article, that is either not true, or Rush is as big a hypocrite as I believe he has become.

I don't understand why you dislike Rush so much.


I was a regular listener of his program beginning in 1990. His positions were strongly Reaganesque, that is to say, conservative with strong libertarian leanings. Even up through 1993, Rush continued to take Republicans and Democrats alike to task for their leftist behavior. I distinctly remember him saying, shortly before the 1996 elections, that Dole was going to lose and that it was because the GOP had lost its way. He also said that the era would not be remembered as eight years of Clinton, but as twelve years of Bush-Clinton.

Somewhere along the way, Limbaugh let his hatred of all things Clinton, in concert with his own personal and legal problems, get the best of him. He sold out to the pubbie establishment to keep the support of their parasites and lemmings. He embraced the neocons, even after spending a considerable amount of time lambasting them in earlier years. After the 2006 GOP debacle, he said he wasn't carrying their water for them any more, but I see no signs that he has stopped. More hypocrisy.


Your anger towards Rush is like Strother's anger toward Ann Coulter.


Let's play a game of "One of These Things is Not Like the Other."

I doubt Strother was ever a fan, let alone a sympathetic lister of Ann Coulter. I completely understand Strother's dislike for Ann. She is utterly polemic and bombastic. She is also unapologetically a creature of the GOP. I strongly disagree with Ann on a number of topics, her support for the war, her paper-thin justification for Congressional action on Terry Schiavo, and many others. However, she is unafraid to use the same bombast on her own that she levels on the left. She has torn George Bush, John McCain, and Fred Thompson to shreds on more than one occasion.

So, while Strother dislikes Ann for reasons I completely understand, I am annoyed with Limbaugh because he is a sellout. Ann openly plays to the crowd, as does Limbaugh. That's what seems to bother Strother most (though I don't understand why he doesn't take Molly Ivins or Susan Estrich to task for the same thing, but I digress...), but I doubt that he thinks Ann ever sold out her stated principles in order to stay in the limelight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Strother said...

Steve: Let's play a game of "One of These Things is Not Like the Other."

...and both agree that Coulter is "utterly polemic and bombastic ... a creature of the GOP." 'Nuff said.

"However, [Coulter] is unafraid to use the same bombast on her own that she levels on the left. She has torn George Bush, John McCain, and Fred Thompson to shreds on more than one occasion."

Sorta ... but hardly.

Anyway, my biggest gripe with Ann is that she apparently underestimates the liberal thinker; this is her biggest weakness. That, and/or she's a fake angry chick ... she's a Grateful Dead fan, people! (Look it up.)

"That's what seems to bother Strother most (though I don't understand why he doesn't take Molly Ivins or Susan Estrich to task for the same thing, but I digress...)"

I don't read either lady's columns, and I only read Ann's via BP, so I wouldn't know about Molly or Susan. Maybe I wouldn't like of them, either ... so I'm obviously not in their respective crowds.

I doubt that he thinks Ann ever sold out her stated principles in order to stay in the limelight."

Sure, "her stated principles" ... but still, I still despise her delivery and question her authenticity.

Regarding Rush, he's kind of humorous -- exactly like you'd expect a bling-loving, fat cat businessman to be. You can't fault him; his dad probably taught him everything he knows, you could say.

But I doubt that Ann's mom wanted her to grow up to be a professional bitch. It's just not fittin'.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Molly Ivins die of cancer?

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home