.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Huckabee: 'I May Be Killing My Political Career'

(ABC NEWS) - While campaigning in Wisconsin today, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee told a crowd, gathered at the University of Wisconsin, at Eau Claire, "I may be killing my political career, but I know this -- if we don't start thinking in terms of solving some of America's problems, we're killing all of your careers."

During a press conference immediately following the rally, Huckabee was asked to clarify his remarks.

"What I mean by that, I'm just saying there are a lot of people who say I'm staying and creating problems for the party, and there are obviously people in the party who are unhappy that I've stayed. Now, keep in mind, they're all supporting John McCain, but this sense that it's just his turn, let's just all step aside -- I find that insulting as a Republican, and as a candidate," Huckabee said.

For the past several weeks, Huckabee has argued that his continued presence in the race is important to the Republican party, and on more than one occasion, has likened his campaign to that of Ronald Reagan in 1976, when he challenged sitting President Ford, much to the chagrin of the Republican base.

"And my point is, if people say, 'well, he should have left' –- they said this of Ronald Reagan in 1976, when he continued to campaign right on until the convention," Huckabee argued.

"It was said of other Republicans in previous times. But, ya know, the rules are, that if you don't have the person that has the delegates to claim the nomination, it goes to a brokered convention. I don't necessarily think that's all that bad.

"I think the worse thing is not getting the right candidate nominated for the contest. So, if we haven't had a candidate who has rallied enough delegates to be named, then maybe it should go to the convention."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home