.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Monday, February 09, 2009

Foxx manages GOP opposition to delaying digital TV transition

WASHINGTON (Winston-Salem Journal) - Regular C-SPAN viewers may have noticed that Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-5th, has received more face time on the cable network of late.

Since joining the House Rules Committee in January -- a powerful body that sets the framework for debate on bills that come to the floor -- Foxx has helped manage the Republican opposition to a handful of Democratic bills.

Last week, she led floor debate against a Democratic push to postpone until June the transition from analog to digital TV signals. The legislation passed largely along party lines.

Foxx said that party leaders asked her to manage the debate, and she was happy to oblige. "I don't seek to be in the spotlight, I don't seek being on C-SPAN," she said in an interview. "What I have told the Republican conference is that I want to help where they need me to help. If they need me to speak on the floor, I'll speak on the floor. If they need me to stuff envelopes, I'll stuff envelopes," she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home