.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Twenty-five years later, Len Bias' death remains a seminal sports moment


Len Bias, a highly touted 22-year-old out of Maryland, was poised to become the next big thing in the NBA. (Focus on Sports)

(By Jack McCallum, SI.com) - About 9:30 on the morning of June 19, 1986, I got a call at home from John Papanek, an editor at 'Sports Illustrated'. It was a Thursday, the beginning of SI's workweek.

"So, what about Len Bias?" he asked.

I had just completed my first year on the NBA beat, so I started right in on my basketball knowledge.

"Perfect draft pick for the Celtics," I began. "He's too big and strong for most of the small forwards who'll guard him, and too quick for most of the power forwards ..."

"Jack," John interrupted me. "Bias is dead."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home