.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Meghan McCain told Laura Ingraham: 'Kiss my size 12 ass'

(By Karin Tanabe, POLITICO.com) - Meghan McCain, a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage and LGBT equality, spoke at UConn’s Rainbow Center Tuesday night for National Coming Out Day.

The university’s paper, The Daily Campus, reported that before she launched into a speech about civility in politics and shared her support for the LGBT community, she said, "I know there are some of you here that love me, and some of you who hate my guts.”

In the name of civility, she brought up an incident from 2009 when radio host Laura Ingraham implied McCain was plus-sized. The political daughter jokingly asked her young audience, "too fat to be an elephant?" and followed it up with, "I told [Ingraham] to kiss my size 12 ass."

The joke seems to be a favorite of McCain's for college audiences. At George Washington University last year, she said “By the way, she can continue to kiss my ass...I was too fat to be a Republican...yeah that makes me feel good. Too fat to be an elephant!”

At UConn, the political daughter also had plenty to say about LGBT issues. She called supporters of "don’t ask don’t tell" "dangerously out of touch.” She said, "You can't call this country free if people are being discriminated against.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home