(Fox News) - Aerosmith front man Steven Tyler said that the Paraguay shower fall that knocked his teeth out and cut his face was caused by food poisoning not a drug relapse, in a TV interview Thursday.
The veteran rocker, who has spoken openly about his drug and alcohol problems in the past, told NBC's "Today" show that he blacked out in an Asuncion hotel shower because he was suffering "Montezuma's revenge" not because he had fallen off the wagon.
"Quite frankly I just passed out," he said during a phone interview from Buenos Aires. "I was on the shower and I got nauseous and I started to get sick and I fell on my face, passed out, and woke up with the water running over me wondering where the hell I was."
The 63-year-old singer and "American Idol" judge was hospitalized following Tuesday's fall and had to have dental implants and four stitches to his eye.