.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Energy policy, wherefore art thou?

Behethland B. Clark responds to Steve Brenneis:

Hey, I didn't say that my feelings were necessarily rational. I thought we were talking about emotions here.

Just because I don't like war doesn't mean that I don't see the necessity in certain cases. But the fact that it scares me and the fact that I see it as the ultimate cruelty to our fellow man would cause me to avoid it if there be any other way. We all know now that this was an unnecessary loss of lives and money. Afghanistan was a different story. We HAD to do something. That doesn't mean I like it. Do you see the difference?

I have the same conflict when it comes to the death penalty. In my heart I know that it is morally wrong. Yet I believe it is appropriate in certain circumstances and I'm sure I would be for it if someone in my family were murdered.

I would hope that you would never discourage someone to voice their heart-felt opinion simply because it wasn't the popular one. Of course I am not advocating that we act strictly on emotion. I'm just stating that it is ok to have strong emotions about issues and that they help form political beliefs. Even if they contradict.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home