.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: WINNING EMAIL OF THE DAY ON THE LEFT'S FRENZY OVER POPE BENEDICT

Behethland B. Clark responds to Steve Brenneis:

I'm just speaking from personal experience and the experience of many peers. Today's high school graduates with no work experience aren't going to find a job without a college degree.

My dad didn't have a college degree because he couldn't afford going, and he worked his way up in the R&D department of RJ Reynolds. It isn't like that anymore. It isn't fair, but employers won't even give you a chance without a degree. And I think that the generation before mine has a hard time understanding that.

I attribute this problem to the demise of our high school vocational programs. We NEED auto mechanics, woodworkers, plumbers and craftsmen. Everyone isn't meant to go to college. It was intended for an elite few, but has become necessary for everyone in order to even be considered for employment. Now our university system is over-saturated and a degree means nothing. A college degree has become the high school degree of 20 years ago.

I've had an extremely hard time finding the type of job I want because I don't have a graduate degree. My husband just completed his MBA last year and has since been promoted twice. I'm sure he would argue that a graduate degree has been beneficial to his career.

I did not say that only high school goof-offs don't go to college. I said that they SHOULDN'T go to college if they aren't going to take it seriously. They are just taking space from someone more deserving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home