.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

RE: RE: Bush: 'Fool,' yes, 'Well-Meaning,' not quite

You contradicted yourself. First you say imperialism isn't good for anyone,

No, I never said that.

then you say it's good for "us" and not "them."

Yes, I did say that much, or something close to it.

Western civilization, along with all the benefits you and I reap from it, are products of imperialism. If you want to decry imperialism from the standpoint of its obvious detriments to freedom, that's fine and I'm right there with you.

Wow, I think we agree on something.

Why do you assume that an American success in Iraq makes our original complaint against the action invalid?

Well, I don't. I can't speak for others, but I just think that Iraq will never be self-sufficient in the political environment of the Middle East without us staying there indefinitely to protect them from their neighbors. Yeah, we broke it and subsequently, we bought it. But does that mean that I must be delusional about the possibility of long-term democratic success in Iraq without a constant US presence and involvement in their government? Sorry, but no.

The Bush Doctrine is all wrapped up in that legacy thing.

And you’re sure that his legacy does not include taking really good care of his oil business buddies and other Bush team cronies? Okay…

On the bright side, someday we’ll all be able to examine the same historical facts regarding the Iraq War. However, I wonder if we’ll ever learn anything from it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home