.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

More Pandering

I’m ashamed to follow Steve off into the weeds and so far away from the original topic, so I vow to try harder to resist the temptation next time.

I guess this is your way of apologizing for engaging in that silly argument that blamed telephone companies for worsening the language assimilation problem by following government regulations. Apology accepted.

It’s her simplemindedness and/or her BS pandering to those that think making English the official language of the US will solve our immigration problems.

You seem to be kind of stuck on that line, Strother. There doesn't seem to be anyone but you offering a suggestion that denoting an official language will, by itself, solve anything.

I don’t want anyone pandering to me.

Sure you do. It's part of being a liberal Democrat. Pandering is the party of asses' specialty.

Not necessarily. Are they squatting? Have they forcibly overtaken the apartment buildings and homes where they live and the commercial properties where they run businesses?

What does that have to do with anything, Strother? You claim they are assimilating. You didn't bother to offer any evidence of that (and it doesn't look like you intend to, either). I'm telling you that a horde of illegal invaders who take up space in a foreign country and refuse to adopt the culture and society of the country they invaded are occupiers, not assimilated immigrants. That's a simple matter of understanding the language, Strother. The fact that they didn't use force (in most cases) to get here doesn't change the fact that they are not assimilating, they are occupying.

No, I think you’ll find that the vast majority of them are paying their way and being hired by willing employers.

I think not, Strother. All you need to do is talk to an emergency room nurse or a social worker from any government social services agency. That's kind of what I meant when I said I had seen figures that indicate they are net consumers.

That’s not assimilation. That’s invasion.

My point, exactly. I'm hoping you will figure that out eventually.

Where’d you get those numbers? Just wondering. Over half the country is in favor of mass deportations? Defined as what?

They are rounded off from a Fox News poll from a few weeks ago. Mass deportation means locating, detaining, and sending them back to Mexico (or wherever). I don't actually think that's necessary. I think a few widespread public examples would send most of them running for the border, but I doubt we'll ever know the truth of that.

To date, no one has offered any feasible plan to round up and ship off 12 million people without mass chaos.

That's not true, Strother. A number of people have offered several potential solutions. Just because you, George Bush, and all the other liberals in the Senate choose to ignore them doesn't mean they haven't been offered.

You know better than that.

Actually I don't, Strother. That seems to be a favorite debate tactic of liberal graduates of that fine institution of...uh...learning...uh...or something.

I'm tired of playing defense. Let's hear your brilliant suggestions for solving the immigration problem, Strother. I mean you have no lack of negative opinions on the participation of those who are actually in the debate, you surely must have your own ideas on what to do. Let's hear them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home