.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Monday, July 17, 2006

The Left Blogs Close the Door on the Big Tent

I disagree with Glenn Reynolds. Not on everything, but on some things.

Support for the war in Iraq as an important battleground in the War on Terror? Ditto, Glenn. Unequivocal backing of the notion that Americans should have the right to pack heat? I’m with you. A general respect for the free market and the innovations, efficiency, and gifts it visits upon us? Yep, there again.

On the stem-cell debate and other social issues, I can’t say the same. And, the “I had an abortion” T-shirt is not a fashion choice I would have made.

But here’s the thing. If you were to ask me if he’s with me or against me-- if you were to say, politically speaking, “is he on your team?”-- I’d say yes. Yes, the politically hybrid, libertarianish law professor who threatens to vote Democrat if they’d only give him something to work with on national security is on my team.

I feel the same way about a long list of other libertarianish political hybrids who vocally disagree with me on social issues—folks like Ann Althouse and Jeff Goldstein, both of whose blogs I consider favorites. And, I think most of the Right blogosphere feels the same way, even though many right bloggers are more conservative than these three writers. Their traffic numbers certainly reflect acceptance and popularity among righty blog-readers.


Mary Katharine Ham

The Left's treatment of Joe Lieberman has had me wondering for a while on the topic of exclusionary and totalitarian behavior. One of the fine points we all should have received in our state-sponsored brainwashing was that only right-wingers are exclusionary bigots and that the Lovable Left wants us all to "just get along" so we can run off to that great kumbayah lovefest down by the river (or on the beach, pick your geography).

Mary Katherine has given us an interesting examination of the nature of that particular myth, at least as far as the blogosphere is concerned. You should jump over to Protein Wisdom and roll back to Dr. Frisch's comments. I can't think of a better recent tribute to Amerikun Edjukashun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home