.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Friday, July 14, 2006

A people dependent on coral

From the BBC's Roger Harrabin:

The United Nations is being asked to step in to protect a barrier reef which lies just off Belize in Central America. Island dwellers fear its erosion could endanger their homes and livelihoods if action is not taken soon.


It's a real shame that this is happening, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Many travelers agree that Belize has some of the most beautiful coral reefs in the world. I've been there once, and their reefs were the most amazing I've seen in my limited tropical travels. They're certainly the best in the Caribbean, I think.

Belize serves as a great destination for North American college students, too, but not necessarily for leisure. While at ASU, my wife spent two weeks there for a class part of her curriculum and said that it was an invaluable experience. Beyond their aesthetic attributes, Belizean reefs provide the country with a natural, normally self-sustaining hurricane barrier. I can't imagine what their breakdown would do to the Belizean economy, especially considering that tourism is so very important to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home