.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

OK, Pay The Guys ... Or Fire Them

OK, it's time to put the show back on the air. These re-runs are sucking, and my free channels are no longer a bargain. I just saw Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon; isn't that last year? Are your advertisers still paying the same rate? If so, they're dumber than a bag of hammers. (Bag of hammers ... right, Steve?) Next Saturday, you better believe I'll have ordered a good DVD from netflix.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a fantasy that the strike will be the death of commercial television.

I never, ever watch television. Of an evening, if Mrs. B. and I are in the TV room, she will be watching one of her programs and I will be on my laptop. She will draw my attention to any amusing commercials. In my dim awareness, about 10% of them are more entertaining than the rest of the commercials and all of the television programs.

I have literal nightmares in which I find myself part of the brain-dead masses, staring slack-jawed at the tube while whatever information the masters of the world have deemed necessary for me to have is pumped into my rotting brain.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Mike Judge's Idiocracy, the most popular television program was called something like "Ow, My Balls!" It consisted of a series of scenarios in which a man got his testicles whacked in various ways. No more, no less. My perception of television is that Judge's satire was not all that outlandish.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home