.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

South Carolina Does It Better

North Carolina’s park system lost funding this year, much like the rest of state government did. But its governing philosophy wasn’t changed. That’s unfortunate.

RALEIGH (By John Hood, Carolina Journal Online) – Have you ever been to a state park in South Carolina?

I have. As a history buff, I’ve visited several of the Palmetto State’s excellent historic sites, such as Andrew Jackson State Park and Kings Mountain State Park. I’ve also relaxed or recreated at several South Carolina parks during trips to Myrtle Beach, where I have family, and Charleston, one of my favorite towns.

In virtually every case, I’ve paid an admission fee. I was glad to do it. For one thing, I feel responsible for paying for the costs I imposed and the benefits I received. For another thing, I know that properties primarily supported by donations and user fees are usually better-run and better-maintained that properties primarily supported involuntary “contributions” from uninvolved taxpayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home