.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Friday, August 11, 2006

RE: 'Foxx Country' Mentality

Strother opines: "Actually, I'm registered unaffiliated; I'm 'moderate/liberal' depending on the subject and/or who's judging me."

You're a moderate/liberal Independent then. :-) When I say you're a moderate/liberal, I'm saying that based on your overall political philosophy in today's political climate.

"And I wasn't 'upset' with Foxx about her goal of making English the official language in America. I just felt that, at the time when she was making headlines with that exercise in futility, we had bigger fish to fry. Instead, she felt the need to kowtow to her base who'd rather worry about election day fodder."

With regard to the immigration debate, making English the official language was a big part of the debate because it goes to the idea of assimilation. How can immigrants reach their potential in America if they aren't required to learn English???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home