.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

An open letter to the Democrat presidential hopefuls...

From my friend Sara:

Hi. Dedicated voter here. It's bothering me how, more than a year before the election, the national media has already anointed certain of you as front-runners. These prophesies have a way of fulfilling themselves…that, and the national press is lazy, and already knows some of you better than others (which magically makes you a "front-runner"). See, things like Time magazine's "awareness index," or whatever they call it, make me sick. The press are pre-selecting our candidates for us by choosing which of them to cover. So, while I still have a mind to make up, and before I'm stuck voting for yet another focus group-approved stuffed shirt former Senator, I have some things I want to get off my chest. Since all the candidates are still technically in the running, maybe someone out there will have an incentive to listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home