.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Huckabee's theology degree? Now says ain't necessarily so

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee told the Christian Broadcasting Network he had a theology degree, he told voters in Iowa he had a theology degree, he repeated the claim in last month's CNN YouTube debate ... but, his campaign now says, it was not true.

Huckabee's claim began unraveling following his offhanded comment about Mormonism in a New York Times interview last weekend.

Reporter Zev Chafets wrote: "I asked Huckabee, who describes himself as the only Republican candidate with a degree in theology, if he considered Mormonism a cult or a religion. 'I think it's a religion,' he said. 'I really don't know much about it.'

"I was about to jot down this piece of boilerplate when Huckabee surprised me with a question of his own: 'Don't Mormons,' he asked in an innocent voice, 'believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?'"


I say again, this guys is just Bill Clinton with an R after his name. What's that you say? He's never cheated on his wife or raped anyone? True, at least not that we know of. Yet.

6 Comments:

Blogger Andy W. Rogers said...

Steve opines: "He's never cheated on his wife or raped anyone? True, at least not that we know of. Yet."

That's a cheap shot on Huckabee, don't you think??? There are plenty of things to be against Huckabee without going that route.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had said the same thing about Bill Clinton, would it still be a cheap shot?

I made the comment about Huckabee being the Republican Bill Clinton on another forum and the immediate response was that at least Huckabee hadn't cheated on his wife or raped anyone. Cheap shots roll both ways, Andy.

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no need to slander the guy.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should probably look up the definition of slander before you accuse me of it, nature boy. Slander consists of knowingly telling a lie about someone in order to cause them monetary harm or damage their reputation. If you have some way of demonstrating that I told a lie, knowingly or otherwise, and that telling it will cause substantial damage to Mr. Huckabee, please, do share that with us.

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gave the impression in your original post that Huckabee could have cheated on his wife or raped someone. Since you have no evidence of that, then why did you bring it up? The same thing could be said of you and it would be slander. I wouldn't want to see that thrown up against me (or you, or anybody else on this board), so why use it against Huckabee?

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I implied no such thing. You inferred it. You should learn the difference. I said that we haven't heard of anything like that yet.

And once again, I think you need to understand what is and is not slander before you start accusing people of it. You have two problems. Slander is a spoken lie. Since I am not speaking, I am writing, slander obviously does not apply. Second, slander (or libel, in case you decide to go there) requires an intentional untruth. I have told no untruth, intentional or otherwise, and I would appreciate it if you would stop accusing me of it unless you have some evidence.

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home