.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. The Bully Pulpit features news, reasoned discourse, opinion and some humor.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Harry Reid 'Embarrassed' About 2006 Opposition To Raising Debt Limit

(By Matthew Jaffe, The Note) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid today told ABC News that he feels “embarrassed” that four years ago he argued against raising the country’s debt limit.

“Why is it right to increase our nation's dependence on foreign creditors?” Reid said on March 16, 2006. “Democrats won't be making an argument to support this legalization, which will weaken our country.”

In an interview today on ABC’s “Top Line” with Jonathan Karl and Amy Walter, Reid said those comments were a mistake.

“I shouldn’t have done that. I’m kinda embarrassed I did. It was a political maneuver by we Democrats. The Republicans were in power – there were more of them,” Reid said. “The president voted when he was in the Senate the same way. I heard him apologize for it. We all should take a look at how we handle these issues, but that doesn’t take into consideration the numerous times, the numerous times I voted to raise the debt ceiling. The one time I tried to make a political issue of it, I wish I hadn’t."




Related Material...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home